Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Benchmark Baking Prices

Liesel had a request for what's a good price for baking needs. So I'll try to cover most of it. Always compare bulk to packaged. It's not always cheaper one way or the other. Depends on the current sales.You can always store your bulk or larger opened packages in airtight containers, such as Tupperware or Rubbermaid and it will keep just fine. If anyone thinks of anything else, feel free to add.

Flour under $6.00/bag
Sugar under $9.00/bag ( 25 lb bag - or 10kg for the younger generation)
Brown Sugar around $3.00/bag (2 lb)
Icing Sugar around $2.00/bag (1 lb)
Cream Cheese under $2.30/brick
Sweetened Condensed milk under $2.00/can
Whipping cream just over $3.00/L Keeps for a 6-8 weeks
almonds under $1.00/100g in bulk. Watch SStore for 1kg bags for under $10.00/bag
Pecans/walnuts under $1.30/100g in bulk. Watch SStore for 1kg bags for under $13.00/bag
Raisins under $.40/100g in bulk.
Lard (for the best pie crust) under $1.20/lb
Pie filling Sstore sells their NName for under $2.50 quite frequently. In fact I have bought it for $1.99. I find it is just as good and the cherry is even better than EDSmith. That's my opinion for what it's worth. However, the best cherries come off Sheila's tree!! But that's a trade secret.
Chocolate chips under $.70/100g for milk chocolate chips and $.50 for regular
Dipping Chocolate under $1.00/100g If you pay less than that, you are getting a lot of wax mixed in it, therefore poorer quality.
Coconut under $.50/100g
Baking Powder This is unfamiliar to me. I buy the 5kg pail from the Wholesale and keep the lid on tight. It lasts for year. Sorry if this is of no help.
Vanilla This is a thorn in my side. Over the years I have been spoiled with pure vanilla from Mexico. If you haven't experienced the difference, you just haven't lived. And to top it off, it's usually around $10/GALLON!! Now, don't we pay about $24/L? That would be the equivalent of $100/gallon. So you see why I get peeved with the vanilla here. So any of you out there who frequents Mexico, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. I would love to get some of the good stuff.
Brick Margarine Don't be fooled by the 1lb blocks. I buy the 1/4 lb squares sold in the 3lb box. When on sale, SStore brand is $2.29. That's a little over $.70/lb. Try getting that price in the 1lb blocks. And the 1/4 lb squares are so handy. Just remember that 1/4 lb is a 1/2 cup of marg.
Eggs Continue to enjoy the widespread price of $1.97/doz. Keep in mind too that on discount Tuesday, they are even cheaper at Sobey's.

That's all I that comes to mind. If I think of more, I'll post it.

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! Thanks!
    When you say bag of flour I'm assuming you mean the HUGE bag?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. That must have taken awhile. Perhaps I can repay in candied pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. I love pecans. You may have a deal. But I really don't mind doing this and as long as you are patient, I eventually get to it.

    ReplyDelete