Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chicken, Barley, Apple Stew

Here's my newest favorite recipe from Pam L. Amazing! I could eat it all myself.

Chicken, Barley & Apple Stew

4 cups diced raw Chicken (I used way less)
1 tbsp Oil
1 large Onion diced
1 clove Garlic
5 Carrots diced
3 stalks Celery diced
2/3 cup Barley (uncooked)
10 Cups Water
1/3 cup Chicken OXO (I use Epicure chicken bouillon, use whatever)
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 tsp. each Thyme & Marjoram
3 Apples

Dice all vegetables and chicken.
Heat oil and saute Onion, Carrots, Celery & Garlic. Cook gently for at least 5 minutes. (I cooked the chicken at this point).

Stir in Water, Chicken, Chicken OXO, Barley and Herbs. Bring to a boil, then gradually lower the heat. Cover and cook for at least 1 hour. (I simmer it for at least 3 hrs.)

Core and peel Apples. Slice 1/4 inch thick. Add to soup and cook covered for an additional 15 minutes or until soft.
Amazing!!!!

Super Easy Bread sticks
(Makes 15-30 bread sticks)

1 1/2 cups of hot water
2 Tb. sugar
1 Tb. yeast
3 cup of flour (I usually use up to four)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup of melted margarine or butter ( I usually use a little less)

Any type of topping you like such as garlic salt, parmesan, an italian herb and cheese seasoning
Dissolve sugar in hot water. Add yeast when water has cooled. Stir in salt and enough flour to form a moderately stiff dough. Knead 3 minutes. Melt margarine/butter. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into the shape of a large jelly roll pan. Pour half of the margarine on the pan (baking sheet). Spread it around. Arrange dough on baking sheet and pour the other half of the margarine over the dough. Spread it around. Sprinkle with one or more of the suggested toppings. Cut into thin strips using a pizza cutter. Let rise 10-15 minutes. Pre heat oven to 350. Bake bread sticks for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned.

1 comment:

  1. oh yum! I think I'm going to have to try this! What is Marjoram?

    ReplyDelete