Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

JoAnn's Grocery Picks

Just looking at the NoFrills flyer for next week (starts Friday) and this is not an April Fool's joke.
Kraft Peanut butter 2kg jar $3.99!! Meghan Anderson wants some, but can't get out to Sylvan. If anyone is going, please give her a call.
Nothing else too exciting, but I thought that deserved mentioning.
Changed my mind - Liesel, the Unico canned tomatoes are $.88 again.

Superstore
There are some things worth mentioning here.
romaine $.86
green grapes $.127
cantaloupe $1.66 ea
mushrooms $1.98/454g pkg
gala apples 6lb bag $3.48 (that's $.58/lb)
frozen strawberries 2kg bag $6.98 (that's the same as $2.09/600g bag!!!)
NN soups $4.78/case of 12 That's $.40/can
NN pasta 2kg bag $2.78
Hershey's chipits 2kg bag $10.99 (That's $.55/100g if you were buying bulk)
Miniwheats $2.97
Cottonelle 24 double rolls $9.97 ($.42/roll)
NN flour $6.59 limit 2 (If you didn't get out to NoFrills for $3.00 for half-size bag)

Co-op
10 for $10 sale this week (Essentially Dollar days)
Humts thick and Rick pasta sauce $1.00
Co-op Gold juice boxes 5-pack $1.00
Hershey's bars 2/$1.00
Pork loin sliced into chops $1.99/lb or $4.37/kg

Sobey's 15% this Tuesday
Have to run, so I'll finish later
It's now later.
Fresh strawberrie $2.99/2lb clamshell less 15% $2.54. Now I just mentioned that Superstore has frozen strawberries for $6.98 for 2kg. I have either had a lightbulb moment, or I'm blonder than I thought. Here's my puzzle. One would think that fresh produce is more expensive than frozen. But, at $2.54/2lb, that's equavilent to $5.63/2kg!!??Here's another comparison, if I were to buy a 600g bag of frozen fruit (that's the regular bag with the ziploc top) at the price of theses fresh strawberries, I would pay only $1.69!!! Are you serious?! Therefore, fresh is cheaper than frozen??? Then, logically, one would load up on the fresh, enjoy until you've made yourself sick, then freeze the rest. Hmmm. If I'm missing the obvious, would someone please let me know. After all, a 2kg bag of frozen strawberries typically is around $10. That would mean that even the tiny 1 lb clamshell of fresh strawberries would be $2.25 - which I wouldn't pay. A 2 lb clamshell would be $4.50 - I'd NEVER pay that. So why am I/we spending such high prices for frozen?? Help me out.

Okay, I'll carry on with the rest.

cheese $4.99/500g. Not anything special until you add the discount $4.24. Now that's the same as a 900g block for $7.64. Now we're talking.
cukes $.99 with discount $.84 ea
eggs 18/carton $3.49 less discount $2.97 which is $1.98/dozen

Safeway
Cheez Whiz 1kg jar $4.99

Costco - If anyone happens to be out there and spies an awesome deal, post a comment here, call me and most likely have to leave a message, or send the RS or me an email. Without flyers, we have no way of knowing what's happening out there.
joannlynn@telus.net
On that vein, Alisha Oullette regularily buys croissents and bagels by the case from Costco, but rarely has room in her freezer for that much. She would gladly split with someone. If anyone is interested, give her a call.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks JoAnn! As I mentioned, even though I've been sick and hardly shopping the last two weeks, I ALWAYS check before/on the 1st Tuesday for your wonderful tips (and I love the rants!lol) I'm going to try to stock up on the strawberries -- did you know that the green tops are good for you to leave on if you put them in smoothies? Easy! Wash 'em and freeze 'em without taking off the stems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the tops? Are they bitter? I have no problem adding them to a green smoothie as long as they are not bitter. I guess I shall have to eat one and find out.
    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete