Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

JoAnn's Grocery Picks for the Week

I'm back. Since teaching last night, I realized that I have failed you all in keeping this post up to date. However, Liesel is doing such a fantastic job when I do log in that I think she should just take over.
This week I pick NoFrills again. Most of what Liesel posted for last week is carried over to this week - with 2 very important exceptions: Cooks' ham and Armstrong cheese (very sad that I can't get another case!)
check out last weeks list and add:
bottled water $1/15 bottles.
frozen, boneless chicken (not my favorite because it lacks chicken flavor and texture, but is great for a quick stir fry or casserole) $2.00/lb
Campbells soups 2/$1
Sunlight dish soap $1 limit of 4
green peppers $1/lb (I think I had that for last week. Can't remember)
pizza pockets
chunky soups $1
Catelli pasta sauce (in jars) $1 I like the parmesan cheese variety but tried the mushroom this week. The kids liked it.

Superstore - Free item for $175 purchase - 2kg box of chicken strips or nuggets
oranges .56/lb
English muffins $1/6 pack
NN ice cream $4
various large bags of rice. I won't butcher this as I am not the expert. Consult Luella on what type of rice is best.
Rice Kristies $2.97/555g box I see they are introducing "brown rice" Krispies. Liesel - thoughts?
Mini wheats $2.97 both cereals are limit of 4
Heinze baby cereal $2.97 limit 4
various other baby items - no longer the expert on that either.

Sobeys - Dollar days - not so great this time, but here's a few things
mushrooms $1/200g pkg
lettuce $1.
baby carrots $1
Parkay marg $1/1 lb tub. Not my favorite marg, but if you are desperate . . .
celery $1
roma tomatoes $1/lb
$50 itunes card - $10 off untill February 2

2 comments:

  1. JoAnn & Liesel -- thanks for your work of updating Grocery picks! I now have Sobey's gift cards (if anyone wants any, let me know!) so I appreciate knowing what I can pop into Eastview to pick up. =-)
    My Walmart pick this week is the Armstrong cheese (if you missed it last week at No Frills!). I have been only getting the "light". Did you know the regular is 1/3 pure (bad-type) fat?! Some is OK, but I want the most cheese for the least fat! (No, this is not a paid rant from Liesel! lol) I get marble, and our family thinks it's fine -- I don't get mozza; don't know if that would be any good! On sale at Walmart $6.97 for 750 g. You'll NEVER get low fat (marble)cheese at Superstore for that price! (maybe "Old" if your kids will eat it -- mine won't!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only buy low fat/light cheese whenever possible.
    Low fat/light = <21% MF
    Reg = approx 30-35% MF
    Emily is correct that reg is high in fat but when you calculate the calories from fat it is ridiculous as 1 g fat = 9kcal

    So here is my tip:
    buy low fat as often as possible
    try weighing your cheese if you have a scale, you will be surprised what 1oz/30g looks like
    mozza is good (look for partly skimmed as the clue to the low fat).
    and, since Old cheese has such a strong flavor, theorectically you will use less so if you buy full fat and use less it's a bit better than med or mild?

    ReplyDelete